Thursday, March 20, 2008

Rock Wren at Pinnacle Mountain State Park

Many Arkansas birders take advantage of Kingfisher Trail at Pinnacle Mountain State Park, hoping for a chance to see a favorite bird or perhaps even a rare species seldom seen in Arkansas. We are never disappointed on our walks there. The beautiful old trees and the stream nearby are perfect habitat for so many different species of birds.

I was 14 years old the first time I visited Pinnacle Mountain.
It was much different then; no marked trails along the way but this didn’t seem to matter as I climbed to the top and looked at the breath-taking beauty far off in the distance. This was long before I became a serious birder and I seldom ever thought about that climb or ever intended to do it again.

However, late Sunday, January 27th, when word spread quickly among the local birders of the Audubon Society of Central Arkansas (ASCA), that a Rock Wren, a rare winter visitor, had been seen near the top of the mountain, I knew I had to make the climb once again. The next day at 1:45 I started up the long trail alone, hoping to see this tiny little bird. The climb was more difficult and tiring than I remembered from so long ago, but it never occurred to me to turn around and go back without seeing the little wren. It was a slow climb and several times I stepped aside to let others pass who were faster than I. One young man stopped to say hi, looked at me curiously, turned and looked back at the huge rocks behind him and said, “Did you come up this way?” I told him yes, wondering why he had asked, but I soon knew the answer when his next question was, “Does your family know where you are?” I told him yes, they knew I was at Pinnacle Mountain, but not that I was on the mountain. At this point I suspected he thought I had escaped from somewhere. We both continued our climb and I soon lost sight of him.


Rock Wren - A. Radomski

The Rock Wren had been seen near marker #9, but when I reached that spot I could not locate the bird. I continued on to marker #10 and beyond searching with binoculars and getting very worried. I know how this tiny bird can hide among the rocks and yet, be within inches of you. Finally I gave up and started back down the trail, stopping every few feet still looking and hoping. I was so tired and disappointed, and very close to tears when suddenly the little Rock Wren popped out from between the rocks only a few feet in front of me. It played out on the rocks for several minutes. I was so thrilled the climb had not been in vain, and with newfound energy I continued on down the trail. By the time I reached marker #4, my legs felt like rubber and I stumbled once. The young man, who had passed me on the way up, was passing me again on his way down. He stopped briefly to ask. “if I had ever climbed the mountain before.” I told him yes, almost 60 years ago. He also wanted to know what made me do it. I told him there was a little bird up there that I really wanted to see. I think my answer just convinced him even more I had a loose screw or two.

You see, my hair is now gray, I’ve had one knee replaced, and I walk with a cane. I tried to convince him I would be okay, but the rest of the way down he never got very far out of my sight, nor did he leave the parking lot until I reached my car. I hope he knows how much I appreciated his concern and kindness. It was 5 p.m. when I finished my climb and started home.

Several other members of ASCA have also made the climb up the mountain for a chance to see the Rock Wren. Unfortunately, not all were successful at locating the bird.

I will be back again to walk the Kingfisher Trail looking for warblers and other birds migrating through our state. Pinnacle Mountain State Park is a wonderful place for all ages to enjoy, especially the young at heart. I encourage everyone to get out and visit this park. A special thank you to everyone who helps maintain the natural beauty of our state parks.

Doris Boyles
Little Rock, Arkansas

1 comment:

  1. This essay originally appeared on the Arkansas State Parks website.]

    ReplyDelete